Sunday, March 29, 2015

State Highpoint #1 - West Virginia

When I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 years old, I found an atlas in the mountain of books stacked unorganizedly on our bookshelf, in our Alpine home. I began studying the pages of maps. I was fascinated with the lines of roads and how they meandered and winded through the 2 dimensional topography. I wondered how the roads were constructed, and why they took the specific courses they did. Then somewhere - and I wish I could remember exactly which state it was - I ran across a little + sign, with the words, "Highest Point in"...... It had the name of the mountain, and the elevation. I thought, "Hmmm.... That means there's a highest point of elevation in every state." I flipped back to the first page of the atlas, and began searching the landscape of Alabama. "Cheaha.... 2407'" The search was on. I found and circled all 50 state highpoints on every page of that atlas, and I said, "I'm going to reach the highest point in every one of these states."
That declaration stuck with me for years. I went through junior high and high school. Left to Brazil for two years as a missionary for my church. Came back and went to to college, and found myself consumed with studies and responsibilities. I never knew how I was going to accomplish this goal. I soon married, and started a career. I found myself with less time to start this goal than ever. Then, I found myself not happy in marriage, and was soon divorced. With a broken heart, I had nothing, but a chance to reinvent myself. As a way to get away, my friend invited me to fly to his house in Virginia to get away for a while. After all, it was through him that I met my now ex-wife. He understood better than anyone that I needed to get away. I told him that I wanted to get out and see the world now, and told him about my dream of reaching the highest point of every state. I mapped out three close points to his house, that we could do in a day, and I talked him into going on a road trip with me.
And so, on October 13, 2009 the journey began.

No comments:

Post a Comment